Make a Tax Credit Gift
By PhoneCall Us
Print the donation form and send it with your gift to:
424 N. Broadway, Wichita, KS 67202
Did you know?
In the past seven years Support For Catholic Schools, Inc. has granted more than $9.7 million in scholarships on behalf of 900+ low-income students. Because of your generosity, all 38 diocesan schools have benefitted from the SCS Tax Credit Program. For the 2023-24 academic year SCS will award $2.8 million in scholarships to Catholic Diocese of Wichita schools on behalf of students who qualify for the free/reduced lunch program.
Simply put, thank you!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Support For Catholic Schools, Inc.?
How are SCS gifts used?
How can I make a gift to SCS’ Tax Credit Program?
Is there a minimum or maximum gift amount?
Do I have to use the tax credits in the year I make the gift?
How does participation in SCS impact my responsibility to be a good steward at my parish?
Does SCS’ Tax Credit Program change the foundational way in which our parish school is funded?
No, schools in the Catholic Diocese of Wichita continue to be funded through a combination of three ways:
- The generous, sacrificial and proportionate contributions of all parishioners through their stewardship of treasure;
- Fees paid by the individual school family;
- Additional contributions made from individuals and corporations to organizations outside the parish, which include SCS and the St. Katharine Drexel Fund.
Stewardship is the grateful response of a Christian disciple who recognizes and receives God’s gifts and shares them in love of God and neighbor. A parish family with a student receiving a scholarship grant from SCS is still expected to live an active practice of stewardship by:
- Attending Sunday Mass and Holy Days of Obligation
- Participating in the sacramental life of the church
- Participating in parish ministries
- Participating in parish religious education programs for children and adults
- Consistent Catholic moral values in all areas of life
- Completing an annual pledge of time, talent, and treasure
- Making and keeping a good faith pledge of treasure, with a goal of 8% of your gross income to the parish and 2% to other charities
The tax credits are nonrefundable, but can be carried over to future years. Credits in excess of a taxpayer’s annual state liability can be applied until those credits have been fully claimed.
Yes, there is a minimum gift amount of $500, and contributions cannot exceed $500,000 per donor for any one tax year.
There are three ways to make a gift to the SCS Tax Credit Program. Your taxpayer identification number will be required in order to receive the 75% Kansas state income tax credit.
The following gift types are accepted:
- Credit Card, Check, Cash – checks should be made payable to Support For Catholic Schools, Inc. with “low income scholarship tax credit program” included in the memo line. Credit card gifts can be made by using the link above.
- Appreciated Securities – please complete and submit the Authorization for Transfer of Gift Securities form.
- Personal and Real Property – valuation of personal and real property for purposes of the Tax Credit Program are specific and can be discussed with a SCS staff member. Please call 316-269-3917 for more information. Personal and real property gifts will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Each year, at least 90% of all gifts received are distributed to 38 Diocese of Wichita schools on behalf of low-income students. Schools may use the money for any educational costs, including classroom supplies and materials, reduction of student fees, technology and books, or teacher salaries.
Low-income students are considered eligible for scholarship if they qualify for the free and reduced lunch program and will be entering the school for the first time (kindergarten or transfer students).
Support For Catholic Schools, Inc. (SCS) was created as a result of the 2014 Kansas law that established the Low Income Student Scholarship Program.
This law allows taxpayers to make a charitable contribution to an approved Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). In turn, taxpayers will receive a 75% Kansas income tax credit that can be applied to their Kansas income tax liability. For donors who itemize at the federal level, a 25% deduction may also be possible.
SCS is a not for profit 501(c)(3) and an approved SGO in the State of Kansas.
– Janet Eaton, Catholic Schools Superintendent